AUXILIARY VERBS- COULD ---Lesson-1

Friends, today we are going to learn something about "could".
You know "could"is the past form of "can". Many times you read
or listen to some sentences which contain the word "could" .
But let me warn you. All those sentences may not refer "past things".
Some sentences may refer past things. But some sentences refer
near future or future or general truths or some other things.
See the following examples.
..
I could run ten miles in my twenties. (past thing)
You could have spent your vacation in Hawaii. (past thing)
It could be very cold in winter. (general truth)
John could go to jail for stealing the money. (possibility)
Could I have something to drink? (near future)
..
Now let us learn the usages(when to use and how to use)
of "could", one by one.
..
1. Expressing past ability:
"Could" is used to express "the past ability" of a person.
See the below examples.
..
I could swim when i was in my twenties.
You could run when you were a child.
He could speak french when he was in France, 20 years back.
..
Negative sentences:
The above sentences are positive sentences. We can prepare
negative sentences also. Then we should use "could not". By using
"Could not", we can express the past inability of a person.
See the below examples.
..
I could not swim when i was in my twenties.
You could not run when you were a child.
He could not speak french when he was in France, 20 years back.
..
Positive questions:
we can make positive questions and ask the past ability of a person
by using "could". Start the sentence with "could". That is enough.
See the below examples.
..
Could I swim when i was in my twenties?
Could you run when you were a child?
Could he speak french when he was in France, 20 years back?
..
Negative questions:
we can make negative questions and ask the inability of a person
by using "could not". Start the sentence with "could not". That is enough.
See the below examples.
..
Could not I swim when i was in my twenties?
Could not you run when you were a child?
Could not he speak french when he was in France, 20 years back?
..
Friends, till now this is enough. There are many things to know
about "could". In the next 4 or 5 lessons, we will learn many things
about "could".
By Sri Dhar

HALAMAN

POPULAR POST