INSIDE--------vs-------WITHIN


What is the difference between “inside” and “within”?
Here is my answer.
The words "inside" and "within" are synonymous
(except in some usages. There are some exceptions.).
Below I gave examples. All these are correct and accurate.

I kept the keys inside the box. [Correct]
I kept the keys within the box. [Correct]
I have pain inside my head. [Correct]
I have pain within my head. [Correct]

Friends, i said there are some exceptions. Now let us see them.
Exception- 1:
“Inside" can be used instead of verbs of motion,
meaning "into". But “within” should not be used in this case.
See these examples.

He went inside the house. (He went into the house.) [Correct]
He went within the house. [Wrong]

Exception –2:
When referring to time, you must use only “within”.
It is not correct to use “inside”.
See the examples.

You should complete it “within” two hours. [Correct]
You should complete it “inside” two hours. [Wrong]

Exception-3:
when you referring distance, you must use within.
It is not correct to use “inside”. See the following examples.

The policemen can catch the thief
“within” two kilometers. [Correct]
The policemen can catch the thief
“inside” two kilometers. [Wrong]
By Sri Dhar

HALAMAN

POPULAR POST